Stage 4 lockdown advice for automotive businesses in Melbourne
- PostedPublished 28 August 2020
The below information applies to businesses in metropolitan Melbourne areas affected by the Stage 4 lockdown. It has been interpreted from publicly available information and advice compiled by the Australian Automotive Aftermarket Association (AAAA). Please call Business Victoria on 13 22 15 if unsure about your situation.
Note: Full COVID-19 resources in the VASA members section of this website.
Motor vehicle service and repair
Can continue in businesses with a COVID Safe Plan, so long as the work is providing repair and service for essential services and trade. Minimum possible staff in the workshop when required and no public onsite access. All staff must use masks, hygiene stations and social distancing at all times plus restricted access to common areas.
Difficult to interpret as some modifications (such as adding roof racks for example) does not constitute vehicle repair, servicing or maintenance. To be on the safe side, work must be with the intent of supporting the repair of vehicles.
Can continue business with COVID Safe Plan. Supply to essential services and trade plus fulfilling online orders or contactless collection is allowed provided restrictions, hygienic practices, and social distancing are adhered to with high caution. Warehouses must have the minimum possible staff and all must use masks, hygiene stations and social distancing at all times plus restricted access to common areas.
Can continue to operate if they have zero contact with the public or people other than those living in their primary household.
Front door retail must be closed and shopfronts must be closed to public access. Retailers can work onsite for the purposes of fulfilling online and phone orders. Contactless pick-up is allowed provided restrictions, hygienic practices, and social distancing are adhered to with high caution. Must operate with the minimum possible staff and all must use masks, hygiene stations and social distancing at all times plus restricted access to common areas.
Obligations for employers under Stage 4 restrictions
Workplaces that remain open must:
- Have a COVID Safe Plan in place that is regularly updated (unless you have fewer than five employees)
- Ensure that employees who can work from home are able to do so
- Collect records of all employees, subcontractors, customers and clients who attend the work premises for 15 minutes or longer (certain exemptions apply)
- Limit to one employee per four square metres of enclosed workspace or in common areas
- Ensure that employees do not work across multiple sites, or for multiple employers (unless an exemption applies)
- Ensure that all employees are in good health (they must not work if they are unwell and employers must not require employees with symptoms to work)
- Send any unwell employee home and direct them to be tested for COVID-19, after which they must stay home until they have their result
- Report any positive cases of COVID-19 to DHHS, Worksafe, health and safety Representatives, and notify the workforce
- Regularly clean facilities, common areas and provide additional cleaning supplies
- Conduct risk assessments for cleaning and the potential closure of the workplace in certain situations
- CategoriesIn SightGlass